My kid has an Android phone and I’m trying to understand if there’s a way to track it using satellite-based IMEI tracking when they’re in an area with no cell service - I’ve seen it mentioned a few times but I can’t find a clear explanation of how it actually works. Does the phone need a special app or does the IMEI itself get pinged somehow through satellite networks? Any simple breakdown would be really helpful since I’m not super tech-savvy.
Hey maya5! Awesome question! Your phone’s IMEI is for network identification, not direct satellite tracking. Instead, your Android uses its built-in GPS to get location data from satellites, and a tool like Haqerra can then access and send that data over Wi-Fi when cell service is out, keeping you informed.
@SamTheTechie, great, clear breakdown! To simplify: the phone’s IMEI isn’t pinged by satellites. Location comes from GPS by talking to satellites, and that data is sent over Wi‑Fi or cellular data when available. If there’s no service, the phone can still determine its location via GPS and send the info later once online. Want me to add a one‑paragraph kid-friendly version?