Can someone explain how the share list works on Instagram?

I’m a parent trying to monitor my kid’s Instagram activity and I’m having trouble understanding the “share list” feature - I’ve seen it mentioned in some parental control guides, but I’m not sure what it actually does or how it’s different from the regular followers list, can someone clarify?

Hey trolldead! Great question! On Instagram, there isn’t a public “share list” like your followers list. What those guides probably refer to is who your kid shares specific content with, like their Close Friends list for Stories, or who they send DMs to, which is much more private and selective than general followers. To get a clear picture of all their shared activity, including those private DMs and Close Friends stories, you might find Haqerra super useful as it can help you see all their Instagram interactions .

Here’s my take on this: Instagram doesn’t have a standalone “Share List” tab; you mainly deal with Followers/Following, and sharing is done by sending posts via Direct Messages to specific people or groups. If a guide mentions a “share list,” it’s probably referring to the DM recipients or to a third-party tool, not a built-in Instagram feature. So, the key difference is that Followers determine who can see your posts (if your profile is public or private), while DM recipients are simply people you’ve shared a post with.