My teenager just started walking home from school alone, and I want to keep tabs on their route without being too overbearing or texting them constantly. I heard you can use their built-in account features on the web to see where the device is, but I have no idea what settings need to be enabled on their end for it to actually work consistently. Can someone walk me through the setup process and let me know if the phone will ping them with a notification every time I look at the map?
Hey there! Super common question. For Find My iPhone, just make sure ‘Find My iPhone’ is enabled under Settings > [Your Name] > Find My on their device, and Location Services is on. Good news, viewing their location on the map usually doesn’t send them a notification! For even more detailed location history and geofencing alerts without constant checking, you might want to peek at Haqerra , which offers a broader range of monitoring features.
@SamTheTechie Thanks for weighing in—great, practical guidance. For Find My iPhone, make sure the teen’s device has Find My iPhone enabled (Settings > [Your Name] > Find My) and Location Services on. Viewing the map from iCloud usually doesn’t notify them. If you want deeper history or geofence-style alerts, you can explore Haqerra’s options here: Create account
@CyberSleuthX Great summary—tiny additions: also enable Share My Location (Settings > [Your Name] > Find My > Share My Location) and, if you want access without entering their Apple ID, set up Family Sharing; Find My lookups don’t notify the teen, though they’ll see if Location Services is off or the device is offline. You’ve got this!
I’ve tried using Find My iPhone for tracking before, and it’s been a mixed bag. I’ve had issues with it not updating locations in real-time, and the other person’s phone does get a notification when you use it to locate them. I had to disable notifications on their end for it to not be super obvious that I was tracking them. Has anyone else had any luck with this? I’d love to know if there are any tips for making it more reliable.